Did you ever want something but you feel like you could never have it?
Have you ever felt like you’re missing out on something just because you could not afford it?
Before I go on, I have a savings tracker free printable for you at the end of the post. So make sure you read until the end 🙂
Not Superficial Things
I’m not talking about random superficial things. Things that you don’t need and are really just a luxury to you. Things that you only need for a day or two and then you store it in the closet for years and years to come.
I’m also not saying you can’t spend your money on those things… because hey, if you have that money then go for it! Nobody’s stopping you.
But today, I want to talk to you, especially parents who are always spending their hard earned money on their families, paying the bills, clothes for your kids and to put food on the table, but do not have the extras to spend on themselves.
I feel you, honey.
I’ve been there many times and still do sometimes.
But when I get to those days, I’ll just sit down, close my eyes and just be grateful for EVERYTHING that I DO have. Things that truly matter.
Like my husband, my 4 gorgeous kids, a home, enough food to eat, my faith which pulls me through the hard days, a business that I LOVE to work on and so much more.
And I want to say that you don’t need a lot of things to be happy. Only the things that matter. Things that will last. Things that can help you grow as a person and grow your business. Focusing on strong values that will help your kids to be more responsible, more respectful, be amazing human beings, things that you can use for years and years to come without having to put them away.
Things that Don’t Cost Money
And a lot of these things do not cost any money.
They will cost more of your time. Teaching and disciplining your kids when necessary, values which you believe and practice everyday, quality time spent with your loved ones which will shape them for the rest of their lives and I could go and on..
I want to encourage you to focus on the things that will last, rather than on fleeting things. Things that you will only use once and throw them away. Think long term. This is how you should spend your money. You should spend it wisely and carefully.
Because to those who spend the little that they have wisely, more will be given to you. The Bible says,
His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’ – Matthew 25:23
Things that Cost Money
The things that do cost, should always, ALWAYS bring some kind of value to your life for the long term, help you grow as a person or help grow your business.
It could be many things like:
- A car that can help transport your kids to school and back home again, go to work, run errands, do groceries etc.
- A good quality, with high specs computer like a Mac or PC that will help you run your design programs seamlessly, runs fast and allow you to complete your projects in no time. Your computer also allows you to run your business online, connect with people around the world and could generate an income for yourself and your family. Now this is what I call a GREAT investment that you should have.
- An iPad Pro or a tablet which you can design and illustrate on, plan on, is small and portable, surf the internet, listen to music, watch Netflix, a second screen beside your main computer to do all the extra stuff you want.
- A good set of books that will help you build knowledge, learn new skills, build great habits and help elevate your life in some way or another.
Technology, Digital Products and Programs
- This also applies to digital books, audio books and courses that will help you do the same thing as the above.
- Tools like a good microphone, video camera, phone holder and lighting etc if you are a YouTuber, content creator on Instagram or Facebook and generally those who are using these tools to create videos or digital courses online.
- Programs you use to make your life easier for designing, create videos, host courses on, a cart platform, an ecommerce platform like Shopify to sell your digital or physical products, host your sales or lead magnet pages, a work management platform to organize your work and manage your teams, an online accounting software for your business that connects to your bank, accountant, bookkeeper, and other business apps
- And SO MUCH MORE…
These are the kind of things you should spend your money on (after spending on the necessities of life like food, clothing, kids tuition, paying the bills etc.).
And whatever extras you have left, you can then use the extra money to spend on the things you like and can afford – like a manicure, pedicure, a nice dress, bag or shoes that you have been eyeing on, or a nice meal out with your friend or loved one or better still, use it to invest in the stock market.
Savings Tracker Free Printable
If you do not have the money to spend on the things that you REALLY need to help bring some value in your life or make your life easier, I have a special gift for you today.
As promised, here’s your savings tracker free printable. You can use this tracker to start building your savings towards the things that you NEED MOST in your life right now.
You can print out as many times as you want.
And if you wanna save up for more than one thing, feel free to print out two prints at the same time and follow the steps below.
How to Use the Savings Tracker
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Name the thing that you want to save in the section above it.
- State how much your savings goal is
- Each time you have your pay check, pay your bills first.
- After paying your bills, remember to put $50 aside in your savings jar, envelope or transfer the funds over to a separate account (for the thing your saving for) in your online banking. I’m all for doing an automatic payment through online banking. It’s the fastest, easiest way to save and use this tracker along side it to track every week, two weeks or every month so can see how much is left to save.
- Cross or color a section of it after you’ve put the money aside and put a date beside it.
- Repeat the steps again from step 3-5 until you have reached your savings goal.
And that’s it!
I promise you if you continue to keep at it, you will soon reach your savings goal and it will be the BEST feeling in the world once you’ve achieved it and spend that money on your “new toy”.
You will feel powerful, be more in control of yourself and most importantly your MONEY.
A Special Offer for My Readers
If you like this printable, you will LOVE the Financial Planning Planner! The savings tracker free printable is a part of this collection and if you wanna take control of your finances, be in a better state of mind and have a bank account that’s in a better financial shape than it’s ever been, then I encourage to try out my planner today!
Because you’ve taken the time to read this post and try out my free printable, I would like to give my readers a 25% off my financial planner. Click here to automatically apply this code FINANCE25 at checkout and save 25% off this amazing planner.
Happy saving and have a peace of mind knowing you are in control of your finances today.
Love my freebies? Would love the support!
Printables, design elements, graphics and any digital products provided on this site are for personal use only. You may NOT modify them or redistribute them for free or monetary gain without the written agreement from the author, Janice Banks. You may share these with your classes or co-workers (educators/teachers/tutors) as long as they are not modified in any way. Please share the link to the blog post if you want to share these digital resources with others.